The End of an Era

Thursday marked the true end of my childhood.

My Pepaw passed away. I received the call while I was at work. My mother had called my school room phone at 9:23 am to tell me that my Pepaw was non-responsive, the EMT's had left, and she would keep me posted. When she called me back at 10:50 I knew what was coming. To say that the wind was knocked out of me is an understatement. I drove to Albany that day.

As I drove into town, I thought about all the amazing things my Pepaw did for me. This man, a wonderful man, took such good care of me. When my parents divorced, we had nowhere to live. My grandparents took us in. For the first 3 months after our move to Albany, we lived with them. He helped my mom find a home. Then, when that home began to fall apart, he fixed it. (And fixed it and fixed it). He could fix anything, I swear it.

I would often wake up to find a rose (cut from his rose bush) in a jelly jar on my dresser, usually with a five dollar bill tucked under it. I did not know how to pump gas until I came to college. I thought inspection stickers, registration tags, and oil changes took care of themselves magically.

As I began to get older, he drove me insane. He would literally steal my car from school and clean it out. I would be so mad. Can you believe that? I think about how spoiled I was and how little I appreciated it. It makes me feel sick now, if I could I would shake my 17 year old self.

We spent summer after summer at the lake. My family, the Neff's and the Bartee's. On Thursday the "Lake Crew"s final member arrived. I know Cooter, Chuck, and Pepaw are together now, making trouble.

Today I went to the grave site alone. I needed to say my own goodbye. I wanted to thank him, really thank him, for all the little things he did for me. Those things may not seem like a lot to someone else, but when you add them up over a lifetime...well to me it is priceless. 

An era ends today. My Pepaw is gone. I have to be the one to keep his memory alive for my daughter, so she will know what an amazing man he was. I have to keep his memory alive for myself too.

4 comments:

  1. you will keep his memory alive. he knew how much you loved him. treasure those memories! love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Misty..we are so lucky and blessed to have our memories. You are a wonderful grown up, your balancing act is working just fine! Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey doll. I love your post. And I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. You are a lucky girl to have had such an awesome Peepaw. You will meet again someday, but in the mean time, tell A and the rest of us all about him, and you will keep him with you always. Love you bunches. ~Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  4. obviously you and i had some similar situations growing up. but reading about your Pepaw really reminds me of my maternal grandfather. i'm so sorry i can't be there right now. i love you so much. stay strong <3 ash

    ReplyDelete