All the World's A Stage: Days 3 and 4










On day three we headed to the New Globe. I had hoped we would be able to actually go to a play, but we waited too long to buy tickets. Touring it was amazing though. We were very lucky, as I am certain we had the best tour guide they have. His name was Callum and I love him. He was a great tour guide. He gave us all sorts of information. He also occasionally acts at the theater.

After the Globe we went to Westminster. I don't have many pictures from this, because you are not allowed to take pictures inside.

It is truly an awe inspiring thing. I can't really put into words the beauty that one building can hold.

After Westminster we went to the Tate Modern. It was very crowded. The great (and not-so-great) thing about museums in London is that the normal exhibits are free. So the Tate Modern, Tate, National Gallery, British Museum are all free to get into. This means they are crowded. We went to the 5th floor to see some of the more interesting pieces. Including Claes Oldenburg's  3-Way Plug. This room also had works by Warhol and Lichtenstein.


There was also a light instillation project that had words zooming down narrow tubes. I sat and watched it for a few rotations, but J said it gave him a headache. We wandered around a bit more then decided to head back to the hotel.

Day 4:
The fantastic ceiling at the British Museum

We started day 4, our last day, at the British Museum. You could easily spend 5 or 6 hours in this place. We spent 1 1/2 and went for only the Egyptian and Greek wings. The next time I come to London I will plan better.

After the British Museum J and I hopped a bus to Stonehenge. Stonehenge, for us, was magical. I get how some people look at and think, gee a pile of rocks isn't that special. For me though, it is mystifying. I can not wrap my feeble mind around the myths that surround Stonehenge. I buy into these fables. I love that no one knows how or why these rocks are here. I love that there are multiple theories, none of which can be truly proven. I love that claims that would otherwise be laughed at as crazy are somewhat accepted amongst Stonehenge fans.

The location is not as serene as you would think, it can be found directly off a fairly busy road. But, once you get out there, you don't notice the traffic, or the other tourists. When we got there it was relatively uncrowded. This meant we could take our time and get close to the ropes. It was quite chilly out there. I had on my sweatshirt, but I had to actually use the hood!


The drive to Stonehenge from London took almost 2 hours, so once we arrived back in town it was evening. We spent our last night in London at Piccadilly Circus. I did not care for it. I guess that is how Time's Square is in New York. Lots of lights, people, and noise. After the quite grandeur of Stonehenge everything about Piccadilly seemed fake.

We headed back to our hotel once last time, packed up, and went to sleep. It was a fast fun four days. I can not wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment