One of THOSE Days

When I first came to college I did not know anyone. I grew up in a very small town. (Very small. Not like when people from cities of 15,000 say that, literally a small town. Albany, TX has a population of less than 2000.) In my graduating class of 48 I was the only one going to UNT.

I met my roommates, they seemed....okay. I was excited and scared and I knew that part of the awkwardness between us was just first day jitters. Or at least that is what I thought. I lived at West Hall, which (at the time) was fairly far from other dorms. The rooms were large, but they housed three people and unfortunately had community restrooms.

My two roommates were both from Round Rock High School. They weren't friends in high school though. Leisel* and Lena* didn't actually get along at all. Luckily, Lena decided college wasn't right for her and left at the semester. Leisel and I got along alright. Sort of. We didn't spend a lot of time together, but we spoke, and I wasn't worried she would kill me in my sleep.

Shortly after Lena left, Leisel started bringing her boyfriend back to our room. I liked Marcus* but not seeing him every night and every morning. Tension was slowly building between Leisel and myself. We stopped talking and I started hanging out down the hall.

The worst day of our co-existence was the day I came back to our room to find the door dead bolted. I could hear the hair dryer going. I gave Leisel the benefit of the doubt, maybe she was getting ready for work, and forgot the door was bolted, and that I came back at this time every day. I knocked. No answer. I went down the hall to my friends room and wasted 10 minutes talking with them. (Leisel's hair was chin length at best, so I figured 10 minutes plus however long before=plenty of time.)

When I got to my door I could still hear the hair dryer going. Hmmm....something wasn't quite right. I knocked again, a little less politely this time. No answer. I banged. No answer. I gave up and went back to my friend's room. ONE HOUR later, I went back and the dryer was off. However, the door was still dead bolted. I knocked rather loudly on the door, and Leisel opened it up. She glared at me, and asked me what my problem was. I just stood there dumb founded. She was mad at me? What? I was the one locked out! How could she be mad at me? When I told her what my "problem" was, she just shrugged her shoulders and told me to mind my own business.

I was so confused!!

Today was like that, but worse.

*Out of common courtesy I did change the names of everyone involved, but not too much.

1 comment:

  1. this made me laugh. not because you had a bad day (for that, i'm sorry), but because you went to such lengths to describe your day. hopefully tomorrow will be better.

    ReplyDelete