The Best Parenting Moment of My Life (So Far)

Today J and I took A to see Yo Gabba Gabba Live. I can say without hesitation, that today was one of the best days of my life. Ever.

A's PawPaw bought her the tickets for Christmas, since the show was on December 3rd. We did not tell her we were going until Friday, the 2nd. I didn't know how well she would understand the concept of one more week, three more days, two more days, etc. So we told her on Friday night.

I bounced back and forth on how I thought things would go. There was no doubt it would be loud and crowded, something not all toddlers handle well. I didn't know if A would be scared by the lights, noise, and people, or if she would even care about watching her favorite show live.

Turns out, she loved it!

We started our morning the way most of our mornings start, early. A is not a late sleeper, so when she opened the door to our bedroom at 5:45 this morning, I wasn't surprised. We spent a few hours hanging out, ate breakfast, then ran a few errands. I told her to pick out a dress to wear, and she went straight to her dress-up bin. I had to redirect her to her closet, where she picked out her "Punky" dress. (We call it that because it has about 5 different colors on it, and she wears it with her hot pink and green high tops.) She could barely sit still while I fixed her hair.


All morning long she kept asking if it was time for Gabba. When we got to lunch at Chuy's, she told both the hostess and the waitress about her afternoon plans. She even asked the hostess if she wanted to go with her. I thought she might take a nap in the car on the way to the show, but I think the excitement had her too amped up.

As soon as we started getting close, everything became Yo Gabba Gabba. The overpass was YGG mountain, the small lake was YGG lake, and all the trees were YGG trees. When we pulled into the parking lot, we had to keep her close, as she wanted to run!

Once we were in, it was very crowded. We skipped the major line for merch, and instead opted for the Kia photo line. I did buy A a set of YGG clips.


Once we got to our seats, which were really good, A could barely sit still.



Once the music started, she was so excited, I actually started crying. Not sad tears, or even tears of boredom, but happy tears. A was so happy and excited. I loved that J and I were able to have that moment with her. About half way through the show during Hugs are Fun, she told us both she loved us.

After the show, all she talked about was how great it was. Then, maybe 5 minutes in the car, she crashed.

She only woke up about 30 minutes ago. Now she is sitting next to me, cuddled up under a blanket. She just told me again that she loves me.

Days like today are victories.

2 comments: