Coaster Tutorial

Finished Product!

Okay, so to make the coasters you need cheap tile, Mod Podge, scrapbook paper (or napkins), cork board, a clear waterproof sealant, and a hot glue gun.


I bought the cheapest white tile I could find, it was .10 at Lowes. First, you cut out your scrapbook paper. You can use napkins, but they wrinkle (it looks very textured). I prefer the scrapbook paper/cardstock because it is thicker. I like to cut my paper smaller than the tile, so you can see a little white on all sides. It makes it adhere better, in my opinion. I usually put mine down before spreading anything, to see how it fits. Generally, I have to trim off a bit on the sides to get it looking the way I want.




Then, take a foam brush and spread Mod Podge all over the tile. I like to spread it both up/down and sideways.
Once you have podged the tile, you need to set the paper down. You will have a few seconds to postition it before it sets. I like to smooth mine all the way around on the edges to make sure it gets a good seal. This can be messy!

After that, spread the ModPodge over the top of the paper. I do this the same way I did on the tile. I like to do two coats. I will do one coat, move on to the next tile, then after I finish all four, go back and give each one another coating of podge.

Make sure you smooth it out as much as possible. It will look cloudy, but it will dry clear.

After they are completely dry, spray them with a clear WATERPROOF sealer. You can get this anywhere they sell spray paint, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Lowes....I like to spray my tiles outside, and then let them sit out overnight so the smell has time to air out.

The final step is to cut cork board to a bit smaller than the tile, and then hot glue it to the back!

These are super easy, but they make great presents. I hope this helps someone out!

No comments:

Post a Comment