Water Marbling Nails--Plus 1 Item Done on My 30 Before 30!

Today I took A to my Dad's for the night. I decided to take this opportunity to try water marbling my nails! I found out about this via Pinterest. (Duh)

Now, these pictures were taken right after I finished, and I did not tape my nails off. I tried that at first, but after a few failed attempts, I decided to just dive in. So yes, my fingers are a purple mess!

(I do not have pictures of the entire process, just the resulting mess and resulting results. I am hoping to FINALLY jump on the Smart phone bandwagon in the next few weeks. Once I do, I will have more picture tutorials.)

Step 1: Pick your colors. I chose varying shades of purple. I went with:
Photo via Zoya
Zoya Dove


Photo Via Zoya
Zoya Mira

Photo via Sasha Says Nails
Sinful Colors Purple Diamond

Photo Via Right on the Nail
Sinful Colors Amethyst

Step 2: Fill a small bowl with water. A lot of sites said to use warm water, but I just went with the plain 'ol cool out of the faucet.

Step 3: Prep your area. I used cotton balls, q-tips, toothpicks, and nail polish remover.

Step 4: Begin the fun! Drop in color by color on top to create a ring effect. You are really going to want to go to Youtube and look for some video tutorials on this. Trust me, I can tell you what to do, but nothing beats watching someone else do it!

Step 5: Create your pattern. Again, Youtube is your friend.

Step 6: Dip your nail.

As mentioned, I was a rebel and did not tape off my fingers. I just wiped them with acetone soaked cotton balls. Then I used q-tips to tidy around my nail.

 As I mentioned, this is a VERY messy process. It might be less messy for some, but I am not the neatest person to begin with.

 Ignore my fingers, focus on the patterns on my nails!


I wish I had a picture of my nails today, as my fingers are no longer purple and the area around my fingers is 100% polish free as well. I was pretty happy with the effect the water marbling created, less happy with the mess. I will do this again. It takes a while. It uses a lot of polish. My advice there, is to go with a cheaper quality polish that you won't mind wasting!

Also, this is my 2nd Pinterest item replicated so I can check that off my 30-before-30!

No comments:

Post a Comment