Today, after garage selling all morning, I decided to tackle a little diy project.
You see, we have a little storage problem. A has more dress up clothes than any one little girl might need. I have no issue with her having all these items, my issue is the fact that they are often all over my house! She has tutus, feather boas, heels, bracelets, earrings, tiaras, purses, hats, costumes, and dresses. Oh the dresses! Today we attempted to pick up her room. I cleaned out a few of her bins, made one for shoes, one for accessories, and one for bags. This still left a giant tub of costumes, tutus, and dresses.
Yes, this is really what her dress up bin looked like! A total mess. It is a wonder she ever found anything to play with at all.
Enter Pinterest, per usual! I found the inspiration picture quite a while ago, but could never find an active link on how to actually create this. I hemmed and hawed for a while, asking J and my step-dad to build me something from scratch. Then, today it hit me. Why create something new, when I could simply use a dresser I already had. After A was born, we quickly realized we needed more than just a dresser or two. So, we bought two dressers, a book case, and two large plastic stacked drawer dressers. We kept the plastic ones in her closet. Today, because of our decision to have a garage sale and clean out all the older baby clothes/items, I realized the green dressers would be empty. I had a perfect solution to my storage needs!
First, we cleared out the white dresser (4 drawer) that used to hold her pants, skirts, shorts, play clothes, and pjs. Now these items are in the two green dressers (3 drawers a piece), which means everything has its own drawer which I love. After wiping down the white dresser, I got to work.
Step 1: Remove the drawers.
I used a pair of pliers to pull out the little thing (technical term??) that held the drawer into place.
|Obviously I had a great assistant!|
Step 2: Remove the things (again with the technical terms) that held the drawers in place. I used a phillips head screw driver, super simple.
|See? No more brackety things.|
Step 3: Paint the inside.
I chose Hibiscus.
I would say this is a bit darker than the real color. I painted the inside of the bottom drawer too. Now, a word, I am already having some issues with chipping. I know this is because of the formica-like material that the dresser is made from, and I also know there are ways to avoid this. The chipping is not bad, but when I slid the drawer back in, I bumped the inside walls, and it left two small chips. Also, when I inserted the rod, it chipped. I touched those spots up, and now you can not tell. I did not sand or prime. Your results may be better if you do.
Step 4: Insert a shower curtain rod.
Step 5: Hang up your play clothes!
Now, this is not big enough to hold everything. We still have a tub full or tutus and a few costumes. I do think I can fit a few more pieces in this wardrobe though! I am also toying with adding an A to the top in the same hot pink paint.
Hope you enjoyed my tutorial/walk through on how to turn an old dresser into a dress up wardrobe. If you have questions, email me, or leave a comment below!