DIY Princess "Cut-Out"

I am working on decorations for A's 4th birthday. (Yes it is still months away. Yes this probably makes me a crazy person. No I don't care.) I saw these great princess cut outs on a party from Catch My Party. So, I decided to take a trip to my local Lowe's and make my own!

Now, I am going to be honest. The pictures of the process are from my "rough draft Rapunzel". I have since redone her to make her closer to the size of the other ones. The process is the same though, so that part won't matter!



What you will need:
  •  MDF particle board (I used 5/8x48x96)
  • Overhead projector
  • Printable transparencies
  • Pencil
  • Sharpie
  • Paint (I used acrylics)
  • Paint brushes 

Step 1: Go to Lowe's. I used the 4x8 foot MDF particle board. The very nice gentleman at Lowe's cut the board for me into 4x2 pieces and loaded them in the car. (Lowes)


Step 2: Decide on your pictures, then print them on to a transparency. You can buy these by the sheet at Staples, Office Depot, or Office Max for about a dollar a sheet. (If you are one of those amazingly talented people who can free hand draw, then do that!)

Step 3: Draw your princess! I used an overhead projector to size the image.
This is the rough draft Rapunzel. I ended up redoing her.


This is the second Rapunzel.
I traced the image using a pencil.
Then went over it in sharpie.


Step 4: Paint it! Learn from my mistake, paint your background first! I did a lot of detail work, then went to paint the background. I had to be very careful to not get too close to my princess. I found it was easier to paint the bright blue first, let it dry, then do the detail work required on the princesses.




And that is it! Once you have done your first coat, let everything dry, then do a second coat on large areas, or touch ups to smaller ones.

I did use metallic paints for the crowns and hair accents. I think it gives it some pop. You can see this in the Aurora pretty well.

A for a size comparison.

Aurora


Rough draft Rapunzel and new, big Rapunzel.

I have two others ready to go, and as soon as I have a pick-up I am headed back to Lowe's. I want to make a 4x4 to make an actual cut-out that the kids will be able to put their faces in. I am  trying for Ariel and Eric. We will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment