My Top Ten Favorite Guilty Pleasure Movies

I have long been known amongst my friends as the one with questionable taste in movies. I happen to think I have fantastic taste....These movies are classics! Okay, not really, but they are mindless (mostly) fun that will make you laugh! Also, some of them feature truly outdated and awful special effects, which in my world is a bonus. This is not a definitive list (though a list is by definition definitive.) Nor does this list include all my guilty please movies.

10.  Hackers--I did not see this movie until I was in my 20's, but man it has sky rocketed to the top for me. It is so bad. I love it. Bonus points for Penn Jillette.

9. Mannequin--I don't remember when I first saw this movie, but I do know I was not old enough to truly appreciate it. I did not get all the innuendo, nor was able to fully appreciate Hollywood Montrose. I did love the cartoon opening credits though!

8. White Chicks--this one was nominated for a Razzie! Lets be honest, there is no way to classify this movie as anything except a guilty pleasure. It is trash. Pure, funny, horrible trash. "Your mother shops at Saks."

7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The Secret of the Ooze--I love all things TMNT, but the sequel features Vanilla Ice and his most "famous" song, Go Ninja, Go. This movie also has my favorite line ever, "Yeah, a little too Ralph." Obviously no quote has full power out of context, and this one is less than useless here, but it kills my husband and me every time one of us uses it in real life.



6. Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead--The sheer outrageousness of this movie is enough to make it a must watch.  A mom goes to Australia for vacation, but leaves her five (!) kids at home. The oldest is almost 18, but mom isn't very trusting, so she hires an old lady to watch them. The old lady is mean and horrid, but don't worry viewers, she dies! Then instead of calling mom in Australia, Christina Applegate forges a resume and lands an amazing job. Because this is a movie, the lies are found out, but nothing bad happens to anyone. (Well, except the babysitter, who died fifteen minutes in and whose body was shoved in a trunk....)

5. Encino Man--Dude is digging a pool (!) in his backyard and inadvertently uncovers a frozen caveman! Genius. I wish they would remake this right now. I don't know any teenage actors anymore, so I would want them to keep the same cast. Rudy, Pauly Shore, and Brenden Frasier + Brenden Frasier's toupee. This has Oscar bait written ALL OVER IT!

4.She's The Man--Way back in 2006, Amanda Bynes was adorable. She wasn't driving drunk, running over people, or being strange on Twitter. She was however, being strange in her movies. She's the Man is a Shakespeare play for the "Duh" generation. Viola wants to play soccer, but her team gets cut, so she pretends to be her twin brother and tries out for his new school's team. Extra extra extra bonus point for Channing Tatum. "Well hey there pretty lady."

3. King Ralph--First, I think you should know that I own this movie on VHS and DVD. If that is not enough to prove my love, well I don't know what else I can do for you! The gist here is the entire royal family gets together for a family photo, but the camera is in water. ZAP! The ENTIRE royal family is electrocuted. (This movie could never happen now, because we are a digital world!) People search the world and find one last descendant, Ralph, a beer loving, bowling American. He then becomes the King. Of England.

2. Mortal Kombat--Do you like movies with great fight scenes? What about killer special effects? How about strong acting and a moving story? Yes? Well then avoid this movie. Do you like crappy acting? A stilted story that doesn't really make sense? Fights that are clearly choreographed? Bad special effects and techno music? Then we are probably friends.


1.Drop Dead Gorgeous--I will argue that this movie is just plain good. It is a dark comedy, beauty pageant contestants in a small town keep dropping dead. The title is quite literal in that way. It is filmed in a documentary style, and captures several of the girls' untimely deaths. We are also treated to gems of dialogue like this: " I don't eat shellfish. Mom always says, "Don't ever eat nothin' that can carry its house around with it. Who knows the last time it's been cleaned." She should know." Funnily enough, I have a similar philosophy.






3 comments:

  1. ....I haven't seen a single one of those. Am I totally missing out?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also it is occurring to me, that maybe you are a fair amount younger than me? I always assume people are my age (29) until proven otherwise, which is presumptuous of me to say the least! Still, these are instant classics (no they aren't).

      Delete
    2. Yes! How have you not seen any of these?!? If I had to pick three....Hackers features a very young Angelina Jolie, Matthew Lillard, and Johnny Lee Miller, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is just so amazingly ridiculous, and Drop Dead Gorgeous. Once you are crazy and overwhelmed at med school, if you manage to sneak a few hours of down time, watch one of these movies. They will make you laugh, I promise!

      Delete