Classroom Mini Makeover

School ended June 6th. So of course, I spent three days this week working on my classroom! I am moving to a new classroom for the 2013 school year. (Same school, same subject, same grade level.) We are going to core teams, meaning one science, one English, one math, and one history per hall. The last week I packed up my room (6 years of teaching total + 4 of those years in that room= a lot of crap!)

My new room has a few issues. It is in the oldest part of the building meaning that it has an older room smell. It might have had mold at one point, and it is possibly sinking into the ground. However, it also has a lot of really great attributes! For instance, it is in the far hall, meaning drop-ins are less likely. It is near the cafeteria, which is nice for walking kids to lunch. It has a faculty restroom, always nice! It has a nearby exit and parking lot. I lost a large cabinet, but gained a true closet, and a wall of built-ins. And it has a window.

At my school, windows are prime real estate. I had a window by chance when I first started out, and it was nice. Then when I changed grade levels, I lost my window. It was okay though, I brought in lamps, played with the light switches, and found a way to make the room work. I would be lying though if I said I wasn't happy to be moving. Many, many people covet a room with a window, so I feel very lucky that I somehow managed to get one.

One of the other perks of being in the older part of the school is that the room is a bit larger than my old one. However, it is also really old. It has a very "lived-in" look. This makes sense, it is an old room!


Here are a few before shots of my new room. I removed a white board today, and if you look closely in the 2nd picture, you can see the outline!


 My window. We (my mom and I) had enough of the awesome HGTV fabric leftover to make a valance. The fabric was purchased at JoAnn's. It was incredibly, stupidly, expensive. I mean that. However, it was 60% off, and JoAnn's gives teachers another 15% off! So that meant I only paid a slightly stupid amount.
Bad picture quality :(
 I had pink and purple broadcloth (so cheap!) that I used to cover my desk. Then I purchased 5 yards of the red/orange color (on sale for 1.99 a yard!). We ended up using the orange and the pink to make curtains to cover the cabinets, after I removed all the doors. Then we used the purple to cover the old navy laminate that was the cabinet topper.
 This is a close up of the printed fabric and the new topper.
This is a long shot of all the covered openings. We made 8 total small curtains, they split in the middle. They are flat on the other side, so if I get tired of the ruffles, I can turn them around.

I am waiting now to find out if we are going to be allowed to paint, but I know I can live in this room happily even if we can't. I still need to put up my bulletin boards, real and faux, but that will happen in time. And fire marshall, if you are reading this, I have already purchased the fire retardant spray!)

So what do you think of my makeover?

No comments:

Post a Comment