The Magic of Santa


I was raised in a Christmas house. Both of my parents love Christmas. My mom shows this by over-giving. She has a hard time drawing a line. If you ask for it, you seem to get it! (Sometimes even things you say please don't get manage to show up under the tree, like a guitar.) My dad loves Christmas music and lights. I remember him telling me stories about studying by Christmas light in college. He sets up a beautiful Christmas village every year. The point is, between the two of them, my brother and I were raised in a house where Christmas begins the day after Thanksgiving and lasts until New Year's Eve. And not believing in Santa was never an option.

A is 4 (4 1/2 technically) and this Christmas was the best we have had yet. It had nothing to do with the presents, though they were fantastic. It had nothing to do with our lights, which looked pretty good. It had nothing to do with the inside decorations, also nice. The reason this Christmas was so amazing, a word often overused, is because of the joy and pure belief that A has.

The belief of a child. The belief that one man can travel the globe gladly giving presents and asking nothing in return is amazing. (There is that word again...) But really, think about it. We ask our children to believe this. We work to make sure their belief is fostered and supported. I think it is one of the best gifts we can give our children, this belief.

Santa is magic. Santa is hope. Santa is kind. It is not about presents. It is about the joy and amazement. The cookies are gone! The milk too! It is about the belief in something a little special, a little magic, a little too good to be true. In a world where we ask (and often force) our kids to grow old before their time, they need Santa. They need the chance to be kids. To believe.

And as a parent, I need that too. Yes, she is 4. But soon she will be 14, then 24, and so on....

But for now, she is 4. And I know the magic of Santa is real. I can see it in my daughter's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment